There’s nothing more exciting than installing new flooring throughout your home. It’s one of the first things your guests notice when they enter and something you get to enjoy every single day of your life. It’s true when they say the flooring can either make or break your home’s design.
With that said, there is a level of difficulty finding the correct type of flooring for each room. There are so many different flooring options and flooring materials to choose from, and you might not know which one to pick. Don’t worry; we’re going to help you with that process.
Different Types of Flooring
When selecting the correct type of flooring for your home, it’s important to remember that you won’t be using the same flooring throughout the entirety of the home. Most rooms will have a different flooring material and flooring design, so it’s always best to go room by room.
As you go through your options, you’ll come across a wide range of different types of flooring, and they each come with their unique benefits — as well as downfalls. Understanding what separates one from the other is essential when deciding which is best for each room.
Of course, five of the most popular are hardwood flooring, luxury vinyl flooring, carpet flooring, laminate flooring, and ceramic tile flooring. Let’s take a closer look at each flooring option below!
Engineered Hardwood Flooring
Some engineered hardwood comes with extra layers to give it more protection and waterproof ability. Since the top layer is solid wood, it gives you the same look and feel as natural wood flooring. It’s durable, stylish, and an excellent option for living spaces with a lot of traffic.
Luxury Vinyl Flooring
Luxury vinyl flooring is available in planks or tiles, but they’re both made the same way. It’s generally made of three layers — a base layer made of vinyl, a vinyl design layer that resembles natural wood or stone, and a transparent wear layer on top to give the floor some protection.
Many people enjoy luxury vinyl plank because it’s made to be waterproof, it’s easy to clean and maintain, it’s an inexpensive option when compared to hardwood floors, it’s durable, and it can be featured in just about any room in the house. There’s a reason this floor style is so popular!
We all know what carpet flooring is. It’s a quality option for those that want something soft to stand and walk on throughout the home. It’s one of the most popular options for a bedroom and comes in a wide range of different colors and styles. It’s so soft you can lay and sleep on it!
Although carpet isn’t waterproof, technology has introduced something called hypoallergenic carpeting. This type of carpet resists moisture and prevents the growth or spread of bacteria, fungi, dust mites, pet dander, and other allergens that might irritate someone’s allergies.
Laminate flooring is an excellent option for someone who wants the look and feel of quality wood without churning out the expensive price tag. It’s generally made of three layers — a high-density plywood base layer, an image middle layer, and a wear top layer for protection.
Due to technology growing more and more robust, the image layer that gives laminate floors its style is starting to become very realistic. The wear layer helps make it waterproof and protects it from scratches — not to mention how easy it is to clean and maintain for long-term, heavy use.
Ceramic Tile Flooring
For those that love the look of stone in their bathroom or kitchen, ceramic tile flooring is an excellent option. It’s generally made of water, sand, and clay, but today’s technology helps make it resemble actual natural stone designs. It’s one of the most beautiful floor materials.
Ceramic tiles are waterproof, very durable, and extremely easy to clean and maintain. Much like hypoallergenic carpet, ceramic tile flooring is more resistant to dust, animal hair, or allergens when compared to some of your other flooring options. You can genuinely utilize them in any room!
Which Flooring Types Are Right for You?
As you can tell, you have no shortage of flooring options when designing the interior of your home — it’s what makes this process so exciting and challenging at the same time. As you weigh your options, here are some of the most prominent factors to keep in mind:
- What room is it going in? Rooms that receive high traffic and heavy use require something easy to maintain and soft to walk on. Those that aren’t high-traffic can be a more rigid surface and focus more on style than functionality.
- Do you need waterproof flooring? Waterproof flooring is best in the kitchen, basement, bathroom, laundry room, and mudroom. Anywhere that might get exposed to water.
- Do you need hypoallergenic flooring? If you’re someone who struggles with allergies daily, hypoallergenic flooring is the perfect option for you. It’ll reduce the frustration you work with every day.
- What’s your budget? Carpet is hands down the cheapest option, but laminate and luxury vinyl flooring are great alternatives as well. If budget isn’t a concern with you, engineered hardwood flooring is an attractive choice.
- Have you considered maintenance? No one wants a floor that needs to be deep-cleaned every single time it’s touched. Find a floor that’s easy to clean and maintain but also one that’s durable and will last a while.
- What color and style do you want? No matter what type of flooring material you choose, you’ll have a wide range of different colors and styles from which to choose. Make sure you look at them all!
If you need any help when deciding between all the different types of flooring, you can contact us at 360 Roomz. We specialize in floor installation in Dallas, but we also offer a free consultation with one of our flooring experts. They come directly to your home, so you don’t have to lift a finger!
They bring flooring samples and use our 360 Roomz Visualizer to ensure you’re left with the perfect flooring option for your home. We can’t wait to transform your home to your liking!
Need help finding the right floor installer? Check out our article on finding the right one here.